As a child, the makeup aisle of our local drugstore was like an Ali Baba’s cave. It was full of colourful and shiny products, and we could spend hours just staring at the lipglosses, lipsticks, eyeshadows, etc.
Now that we are grown ups, my perception of the makeup aisle has changed, mostly because we buy my makeup elsewhere. However, the drugstore has kept its special place in my heart, and it evokes childhood memories of pure bliss.
When it comes to beauty, you don’t always have to break the bank! Here are some great finds from the drugstore that are totally worth their price and won’t hurt your wallet.
Skin care/beauty routine:
- Aveeno Ultra-Calming foaming cleanser. Very gentle product that is perfect for dry and/or sensitive skin. It is perfect if you clean your face with an ultrasonic face brush (Clarisonic or other).
- La Roche-Posay Lipikar Xerand Hand Repair Cream. Ideal for severely dry skin (aka most people during the winter). The formula is very gentle and not too thick. Nice, clean smell.
- Calgon Ultra Moisturizing Body Wash, in “Morning Glory”. Softly cleanses and hydrates the skin, and leaves an amazing smell.
- Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment. A oldie but a goodie! The best lip conditioner EVER. I apply it religiously every night before bedtime and it keeps my lips smooth!
Makeup and nails:
- GOSH Mineral Waterproof Eyeshadow, in “Golden Brown”. Creamy texture that dries quickly and doesn’t crease. Perfect for a lazy day makeup.
- Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede, in “Preview”. A gorgeous natural pink lipstick with a nice shimmer. Perfect for an everyday look. Plus, it STAYS on your lips!
- Rimmel London Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner, in “Innocent”. Very cool lipliner with a retractable container. Good to prime your nude lipstick with it!
- Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm, in “Ingenue”. Very creamy, give a nice, natural tint to the lips. Very glossy finish!
- Annabelle Waterproof Lipliner, in “Boisenberry”. Very pigmented lipliner for a drugstore level. The finish is not too sticky and goes super well with the berry purple lipstick from Smashbox (‘Femme Fatale’)!
- Maybelline Matte Lipsticks in “Daringly Nude” & “Lust for Blush”. Very affordable matte lipsticks! Maybelline never fail us! Love how it doesn’t dry out your lips after using it!
- Essence Silky Touche Blush in “Babydoll”. It’s a super duper affordable drug store brand. The pigment is very good and the price, the price!!
- Essence Mattifying Powder in “translucent”. If you are new to makeup, this is a go-to brand and product. It does its job right for a very low price and good quality!