Thank you outofmythoughts blog for nominating our blog for the Liebster Award. We never thought we would be nominated for these kind of “event” post. Since the blog is run by 2 authors, Melissa & Marika, it will be a long one but we will try to keep it short and sweet and interesting!
The rules for this award are as follows:
- Post 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer 11 questions from your nominator.
- Nominate 11 other blogs with under 200 followers and ask them 11 questions (let them know you nominated them, tag them in your post or tell them in some way!)
11 Facts about the blog and the co-founders, Melissa & Marika:
- The blog is run by 2 Montreal girls, Melissa & Marika. The blog started by a random conversation about social media and YouTube.
- The blog started out as a bilingual blog (yes, we translated every.single.word), but we quickly realized that the posts were too long and we might be losing readers.
- Melissa is a graphic designer. Sometimes she can be quite picky on products when it comes to packaging.
- Marika works in PR and in makeup, while being a senior at Concordia University. As you can tell, she is a crazy (but happy) workaholic and has too many interests/passions in life.
- Melissa loves pasta. YUM. or any kind of food actually.
- Marika has always been interested in languages and her biggest dream as a child was to speak English perfectly (it’s her second language, French being the first). Now that this is (almost) achieved, she aims to be fluent in Swedish.
- Melissa is pretty independent and introverted, loves gaming and can be sometimes a bit workaholic.
- Marika spends endless hours on Pinterest and Instagram, always looking for inspiration for makeup, food, design, etc.
- We both met in University through a friend because Marika wanted to know more about the Communication Studies program before enrolling.
- Even though we always write to each other in English, most of the time we speak French together. Never figured out why! 😉
- Our little not-so-secret dream is to one day live in Toronto!
- Where do you get inspiration for blogposts? – We usually find ideas through everyday life encounters, such as shopping on line, surfing the net, the season of the year. Anything that comes to our minds, really!
- What is the favourite blogpost you have written and why (please link if you want to)?
- Melissa: I think I have a few that are my favorite blog post. Most my Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip Swatches: Trap & Better More, Review on Sephora Colorful Collection: Contour Los Cabos & Fiji
- Marika: Ohh we’re starting with a tough one! It’s like picking a favourite child :O I really enjoying doing the makeup for the February Birthstone Beauty.
- What are some of your desert island (must-haves) beauty products?
- Melissa: I don’t have a brand in particular because I like to go through one and then try another from a different brand. But I must say, my Sephora Collection Brow Editor and my Sephora 12H Classic Liner eyeliner is something I can’t live without.
- Marika: Well in my mind, desert island=hot weather=damage to my skin. So, of course, I would bring my Anthelios Ultra Fluid Lotion SPF60 from La Roche-Posay, probably a hot pink lipstick (I’m thinking Snob or Full Fuschia by MAC), and a good moisturizer (I like the ones from Origins).
- What are your favourite and least favourite aspects of blogging?
- Favourite aspect would really be creating our own content and being able to express in a tone that really reflects ourselves through text or through video. Something creative to do outside of a 9-5 schedule!
- Least favorite: Trying so hard to get the readers’ attention. We find that some of the posts we really work hard on have the least results compared to the ones that are about subjects that really inspired us. Well we guess that’s kind of obvious!
- What is your favourite meal: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
- Melissa: Can I pick all 3? Like you know, brunch, lunch and dinner? … But dinner is definitely the top.
- Marika: BRUNCH BABY! But during my normal 9-5 schedule, I’d say dinner cuz that’s when I get to enjoy good company and really take the time to eat.
- What are some things you do to de-stress?
- Melissa: It’s rare that I am over-stressed or I just get over things really easily. But if I really need to, I would prefer to turn on my Spotify to listen to some indie music and lay around.
- Marika: I’m always running around, trying to achieve as much as possible during the day, so I need a hot foamy bath to de-stress before going to bed. It helps me to clear my head and washes the troubles away (kinda). Another thing that helps me de-stress on a daily basis is the good ol’ to-do list. I have so many: on my phone, on my computer, on my desk, in my agenda, even on post-its on my phone, etc.
- Do you have any regrets in life or do you believe you should never have any regrets?
- Melissa: haha! my life motto has always have been “Never regret because life is an uncertain voyage”. Just a mini-mashup with Shakespeare. Honestly, you never know where things can lead you to; and why regret? Decisions are made by yourself and there is always a reason why you took it.
- Marika: I do believe that we all start in life as a blank canvas, and as we grow older, the painting begins to appear, slowly but surely, with every experience that comes our way and shapes who we are. Of course, I could have become a pharmacist, an actress, a famous rockstar (those were my childhood dreams!), but I am more than happy with where I am in life at the moment. I do have some minor regrets, such as “not trying hard enough”, “not acting fast enough”, etc., but these simply inspire me to become a better version of myself. Overall, I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, so yep, mostly no regrets!
- Do you believe in fate or that life is just full of random coincidences?
- Melissa: hum… I would go for random coincidences. Hey! that’s related to my life motto!
- Marika: I think it’s a bit of both, but mostly circumstances and opportunities, and what you do with them. Also, I like to think that karma is a real concept.
- Cream blush or Powder Blush?
- Melissa: Powder! – How do you even blend cream blushes? I have yet to discover still!
- Marika: powder, powder, powder!!
- Manicure or Pedicure?
- Melissa: Mani! – Who looks at toes??
- Marika: That’s a tricky one. When I pay for it, pedicure, because they do a much better job than me! But if we’re just talking in general, manicure >>> pedicure. However, my toe nails are always painted, but my fingernails aren’t! *mind blown*
- Do you buy beauty products online? What are some of your favourite online stores?
- Melissa: With my current busy life, I like to buy online. Favorite, of course Sephora, it could be pricey but they have everything!
- Marika: I order a lot of makeup online, mostly from Sephora. Other websites do not ship to Canada or shipping is expensive, which is a big turn off for me…
- Are you a lipstick, eyeliner, blush or eyebrow person?
- Are you a cat or dog person?
- On a cold and rainy day, what is your favourite drink?
- What is your favorite activity/hobby other than blogging?
- What is your current beauty product you can’t live without?
- What is your biggest struggle about blogging?
- What/who inspired you to start a blog?
- If you could be anyone for 1 day, would you do it? If yes, who would it be and why?
- Describe your dream vacation.
- What is your favourite topic to blog about (be specific)?
- How do you treat yourself?
Yay! thanks for reading the post! Can’t wait to learn more about you!
-xox- Marika & Melissa